Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 Years Ago Today

Can it be so? 10 years? Already? It seems like yesterday...

I'm terrible with dates. Terrible. If you don't believe me, just ask Ms. Fetner. Although I adored her and loved her class, I couldn't for the life of me recall any dates on her tests. Which could have been the cause of my...well, let's just say "less than an A" in her class.

I guess it was fitting that I was on my way to a history class (Western Civ to be exact) when I first heard the news...and that is a day and date I will never forget. Ever.

I always thought it was odd how "old people" could remember dates so well. I realize now that those dates are more than just a month, day, and year. They are experiences...life changing experiences...for those who lived during that particular time.

September 11, 2001...I got up, got dressed, and headed to Wadley. It was a pretty day outside. In between classes a bunch of us were out in the commons area talking when we heard talk of the plane crash. None of us really believed it. Then we got to Western Civ, and Dr. Stone explained what was happening...what she knew anyway. She told us to go home, find a TV, and watch history in the making. Wow. Life changing. I remember having a memory lapse...my stomach felt nauseous as I tried to think of where my mother was. At that time she flew to work every week...always a different place...lots of times New York. As a matter of fact, exactly one week prior to the attack she was flying into NYC. I finally got her on the phone...she was safe and sound...she happened to be off that day...but she was panicked. She was trying to get in touch with her friends in NYC. Phone lines were down, and I remember she even had to relay information to one friend because it was so chaotic there. As events unfolded throughout the day we sat and cried in front of the TV. That day will forever be embedded in my memory...I'll never forget...the date, the day, the somberness, the experience.

Today we had a special service at church honoring our own first responders. Before church I watched the replays on TV. As I sat on the couch...crying once again...my own little girl wanted to know what was wrong. I explained to her...in 3- (almost 4) year-old terms what happened on that terrible day. She may have trouble remembering the date, but I hope she never forgets the story of what happened that day. History.

We dressed in red, white, and blue in honor of our country...

Seth & Emma

2 comments:

Erinjordan83 said...

Ashley, it is funny how we remember things, isn't it? In fact, if I'm not mistaken, I was actually with you at SU that day: Sitting on the couches in the "Main" building on campus when students in another class came out and told us what was happening.

Ashley said...

Yep...you were there!