School's Out Forever!
Or you could just skip right on down to the end of the song...
Out 'Til Fall
...which I'll gladly take!
Or you could just skip right on down to the end of the song...
Out 'Til Fall
...which I'll gladly take!
I would LOVE to be a stay-at-home-mom, but that doesn't seem to be what God has in store for me right now. Before I tell you about my big summer plans, let me say that I am grateful to have a job. This is a tough time for teachers (and education in general), and I don't want anybody to think that I'm not thankful for the job I have. Take a minute and say a prayer for all of those teachers who can't find a job, have lost a job, are looking for a job, and also those of us who are blessed with jobs but aren't sure what tomorrow brings.
On to happier things...
Today completes my fifth year teaching...which means that Tuesday (Monday doesn't count since it's a holiday) begins my fifth summer as a teacher. I have NEVER spent a summer at home. Ever. The summer of 2007 I worked in my classroom the entire summer...getting things organized and ready for the upcoming school year plus preparing for my maternity leave. The summer of 2008 we got a new reading series and I moved classrooms...worked all summer AGAIN! The summers of 2009 and 2010 were spent at JSU working on my Master's...plus working in my classroom...plus moving to LES in 2010...plus preparing for another maternity leave! (Whoever said teachers get summers off has very obviously never walked in a teacher's shoes...the correct version of the statement is that teachers don't get paid for their endless summer work...nor do we get paid for any vacations.)
My teaching certificate renewed when I received my Master's in August 2010. That means I only have four more years before I need enough CEUs (or 50 clock hours) to renew again...and I have ZERO. I've been advised to get started this summer or it will sneak up on me. I'm happy to report, though, that I have decided to go against that advice. I am going to spend the summer AT HOME with my babies. Aside from a beach trip we have no big plans...other than to love, hug, and play in the yard! I am SO EXCITED! :)
Today completes my fifth year teaching...which means that Tuesday (Monday doesn't count since it's a holiday) begins my fifth summer as a teacher. I have NEVER spent a summer at home. Ever. The summer of 2007 I worked in my classroom the entire summer...getting things organized and ready for the upcoming school year plus preparing for my maternity leave. The summer of 2008 we got a new reading series and I moved classrooms...worked all summer AGAIN! The summers of 2009 and 2010 were spent at JSU working on my Master's...plus working in my classroom...plus moving to LES in 2010...plus preparing for another maternity leave! (Whoever said teachers get summers off has very obviously never walked in a teacher's shoes...the correct version of the statement is that teachers don't get paid for their endless summer work...nor do we get paid for any vacations.)
My teaching certificate renewed when I received my Master's in August 2010. That means I only have four more years before I need enough CEUs (or 50 clock hours) to renew again...and I have ZERO. I've been advised to get started this summer or it will sneak up on me. I'm happy to report, though, that I have decided to go against that advice. I am going to spend the summer AT HOME with my babies. Aside from a beach trip we have no big plans...other than to love, hug, and play in the yard! I am SO EXCITED! :)



2 comments:
I hope you enjoy your summer- it sounds awesome! This is my second summer at home as a teacher and it is just so wonderful! Although, I do have to attend 2 weeks of professional development which I'm not looking forward to. Hope you guys have so much fun!
I hope you and those beautiful babies have the BEST summer EVER!! I have always worked since my boys were born until last year! You couldn't pay me a million dollars to miss another summer with them. I would rather be poor in material possessions and rich in quality time and memories.
Post a Comment