Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The time when we ALMOST got stranded at school...

Today started off relatively normal, other than the fact that yesterday the BOE announced that we would be getting out 2 hours early today and be delayed 2 hours in the morning due to extreme winter weather. We heard the "S" word in the forecast, but it was minimized to a "dusting" here in CC.

I went to sign in this morning and noticed the "lunch will be 1 hour early" note on the sign in table. I sighed, since we already eat at 10:30AM on a normal day. I never dreamed when we walked out of my classroom at 9:30AM going to lunch that we'd be seeing full blown snow. It was coming down hard! As we left the lunchroom around 9:55, we got the word that school would be dismissing at 11AM.

The snow kept pouring. And kept pouring. And it was hard. And it was fast. And NOBODY could have predicted what was going to come.

We finally began loading buses around 11AM, but the high school buses still hadn't made it over. Around 11:30AM, they told us to pull the kids back off the buses and a few minutes later we got the word that the buses were officially "grounded". There were wrecks everywhere and the roads were terrible!

Meanwhile, Justin left CHS about 10AM and went to get Luke. And wouldn't you know that the one day of the year that I forget my phone at home would be today? Anyway, I was finally able to reach him and tell him to come get E and me.

I finally walked into my house around 4PM...roughly 6 hours after we got the word that school was dismissing early and parents began showing up to pick up kids. Justin got home around 6PM, after helping deliver students and teachers to their homes.

I got the word a little bit ago that all CC children were finally safe at home...Praise the Lord! Many students in school systems around our state aren't so fortunate. Many people in general aren't so lucky. My mama is stranded on 280 in Birmingham. Thankfully, she's found a hotel that has offered her and 9 other stranded folks a conference room and blankets to stay in since they have no vacancy.

We are out of school tomorrow and Thursday, which is probably going to cut into my long-awaited Spring Break. But I'm thankful I'll be safe and warm in my home with all my people:).

Watching Franklin in Mama's room to pass the time:)
Ironically, I just hung the snowman yesterday.
We FINALLY got to enjoy it!

No comments: