Sunday, April 13, 2014

You Win Some, You Lose Some

Emma played her first t-ball game of the season on Thursday night. She was amazing. She hit good. She fielded good. She ran fast. She did everything a little t-baller should do.

She got a chance to play 2nd base (which she was SUPER excited about). She stopped the ball. She got outs. She even got popped with the ball once but kept on going until she got the out!

Despite her efforts and those of the entire team, we lost the game.

On the ride home she asked the question, "If I played so good and you're so proud of me, why did we lose?"

Which brings me to a pet peeve. In t-ball we "don't keep score." Of course the score is kept in the book, but it's not put on the scoreboard and I guess we're not supposed to tell the kids if we win or lose.

This bothers me. Always has.

We have ALWAYS told Emma whether we won or lost a game.

The greatest things kids can learn from playing ball, in my opinion, are LIFE LESSONS!

And in life, we don't always win.

Sometimes we do our best, try our best, put forth our best effort...but we still don't win or get what we were wanting.

I think it's important for kids to learn how to be good winners AND good losers. It's important to learn to put your best foot forward KNOWING that the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

I'm reminded of one of my favorite Bible verses...In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. John 16:33

And that's exactly what we told Emma.

We did win on Friday night, and she played awesome once again!

Anyway, I'll step off my soap box and share pics of my girl.

Thursday's Game

THE most important lesson...we ALWAYS give thanks to God!
Friday's Game
Notice the tiny #22 in the circle...he's SO READY to be 4 so he can play ball:)
 
On Saturday, E went on a lunch date with this lady
right here, who has taught me a lot of life lessons.
 
33 days!

1 comment:

Brittany said...

I think it's sad that things are like this now :(
It's important for kids to learn the right way to win and the right way to loose. Learning that at a young age will prepare them better for when they're older…She's so cute in her uniform!