Friday, August 8, 2014

The End of an Era

For over 6 years I have had babies in daycare. For over 6 years someone else, in essence, has been raising my babies so that I could provide for my family.

Last year we made the decision that Luke would attend K4 and K5, instead of just K4 like E. We made this decision for several reasons, and we're confident that this is the best decision for our boy and our family.

But that didn't make today any easier. As I drove to pick him up this afternoon I thought about the many days I've traveled that same path, taking babies to Mrs. Liz's. I thought about the fact that it is very possible I'll never travel that exact path again. And I thought about all the things that both of my babies experienced while in her care. Words could never express my sincere thankfulness for the woman who helped shape my babies into who they are today.

We had a small token of our appreciation to give her, and she gave Luke a rain coat for "big school". And when we left we just said, "see you later!" And then I had to stop at the end of the driveway to compose myself.

Tonight when we were reading a bedtime story, Luke said, "we have that at my school!" And I asked him which school he was talking about. Of course, he was referring to Mrs. Elizabeth's...the only place he's ever known. I reminded him that today was his last day and that next week he'd be going to "big school." He said, "I love Mrs. Elizabeth."

And so do we.

No comments: