Friday, December 24, 2010

Convoy to TX and Heartache

After receiving the devastating news that my aunt would not be here much longer we packed our bags and headed to Texas. When I say we I mean my Mama, Donnie, Justin, the kids, and me...in my Pathfinder! My aunt, uncle, and cousin from Georgia followed us in their truck. It was a 12+ hour journey, but the kids did beautifully. They slept almost the entire ride. When we got there Justin took care of the kids so that I could spend some final minutes with my precious aunt. She was brought home on Hospice that afternoon (Wednesday), and I was able to introduce her to Luke. A woman who could barely open her eyes, lifted her hand and grabbed the legs of each of my children as I took them to her bedside. She mouthed the words "I love you" to each of us as well. Those moments are priceless, and I'm so glad we took that journey in the middle of the night to be there with her. Her amazing boys decided to celebrate Christmas on Thursday the 23rd, because they knew she might not make it much longer. They had her room beautifully decorated, and we cooked and celebrated Christmas together.

Luke is resting up for the long ride ahead!
Emma gave him this Mickey Mouse! :)
Opening presents at Aunt Paulette's!
Faith, Beckett (aka "Bucket"), and Emma
Luke celebrated 12 Weeks in Texas!
In my 27 years here on earth I had never realized just how strong the little lady below really is. My grandmother proved to be a source of strength for her daughter (my aunt) and her family during these last months. We are all so grateful that she was able to be there for them. She is an inspiration!
Emma and Luke holding hands in
preparation for the long journey home.
On December 24, 2010 the world lost an amazing woman to cancer. My heart is aching, but I know that she is in a new body. Until we meet again...I love you Aunt Paulette! You will never know what a mark you have left on my life!

1 comment:

John Trepl said...

I like it, Ash. You've got a wonderful family and I'm glad mom got to see your two little bundles of joy.