Some people, like Justin, are fortunate enough to have all of their grandparents around well into their adult years. Justin's PawPaw (Luke's namesake) passed away just before his 24th birthday. All of his other grandparents, thankfully, are still with us!
Others, like myself, have experienced the loss of grandparents at a young age. My paternal grandmother passed away when I was nine, and my maternal grandfather passed away when I was twelve. I was extremely close to both of these grandparents, and their deaths will forever be etched in my memory. Since then I have also lost my paternal grandfather (in 2009), but I am blessed to still have my maternal grandmother, Moms (aka Maz, who thinks my babies hung the moon and the stars:).
Although I lost grandparents at a young age, I was so blessed to have a great-grandmother who, until the day she went to be with Jesus in 2005 (just shortly after my twentieth birthday), had her mind and her spunk! I loved that woman beyond words. In fact, she is Emma's namesake. Some things that make me think of my many, many days with her are oatmeal with butter and salt (I didn't know people actually put sugar in oatmeal until well into my adult years), dumplings, biscuits, Sally Jesse Raphael, Phil Donahue, all CBS soaps:), The People's Court, Mrs. Beasley Dolls, Sears catalogues, Ivory soap, checkers, TV Guides, and Amazing Grace.
While I love my life today, there are definitely times I wish I could go back to the 1980s, sit on her countertop, and "help" her make biscuits. I wish I could climb in her lap and rock. I wish I could hold her soft, wrinkled hands. I wish I could see her crystal blue eyes. I wish I could hear her sing Amazing Grace...just one more time. Then I remember I can. I will. One day I will be with her again. This time, though, it will be for eternity.
Today would have been her 103rd birthday here on earth (according to the family Bible and her...102nd according to social security records:). Happy Birthday Amma (am-maw)! Until we meet again...
Getting back to it....(Life with Boys!)
12 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment