Thursday, November 18, 2010

Her Story

January 4, 2007 was a day that forever changed our lives. We found out we were expecting our first child! We were so excited, and we quickly shared the news with family and friends. My official due date was September 14, 2007. Four days after that we learned what true love really was! On September 18, 2007 at 1:25PM we were blessed with a healthy, beautiful baby girl! Emma Catherine McCollum was 8lbs. 2oz. and 21 inches long. The pictures and captions below tell "her story".

As my due date quickly approached it didn't look like I was going to go into labor on my own. I was determined to go as long as possible and give my little girl a chance to come in "her time". Dr. Ballard will only let her patients go a week over, because after that baby and mother are at a higher risk for health issues. So...the week before my due date we decided to schedule an induction for the next week. The ONLY days that were available were Monday or Tuesday...sale days! Of course, her Daddy made arrangements to be off, and we were supposed to be at the hospital at 6PM on Monday, September 17. We both worked until about 1:00PM that day, and then we headed to Clay County Hospital to visit Justin's PawPaw Olen who was in the hospital. We left there, went home and showered, and headed to Anniston!

When we arrived at the hospital there were several emergencies, so we had to wait for a room. Finally, around 11PM we got into a room. They got me hooked up to the monitors, and decided to start the Pitocin around 3:30AM. However, at 2:30AM my water broke...I was in labor!! :)

Once my water broke the contractions got VERY intense! Being a first time mom I didn't realize I could get a "boost" of the epidural meds, so I kept turning it down. I kept thinking of these horror stories where the epidural wears off before the baby comes. I knew I didn't want to be in that situation. Finally, I said something to the nurse about it, and she informed me that I could get a "boost" as often as needed!! I got the epidural, and life was much better! I did have some trouble breathing, and they had to put me on oxygen...but other than that life was good! I even got a little rest.

Around 6AM or so I heard some talking at the door. I realized Dale and Chris were there. I thought it was strange, but I didn't say anything. They came in and sat down on the couch, but they were a little quiet. When I asked about Justin's PawPaw I learned that he had passed away around the same time my water broke. This made the day bittersweet for our family. We were sad about Justin's PawPaw, but we were thrilled about the miracle we would soon meet. We like to think of PawPaw Olen as Emma's special angel. We know he would have loved her more than life, and he is watching over her now!

This is a picture of me before they got the monitors hooked up.
Whoo...I didn't realize how rough I looked!
Please excuse my appearance in the photos to come!! :)
At 11:30AM I was finally dilated to 10cm, and it was time to push.
At 1:25PM our little miracle was born!
She had a head full of dark black hair!
All of those numbers translate to 8lbs. 2oz.!
Emma gets her first "bath" in the hospital!
Dr. Ballard, Emma & the sweet nurse!
Our new family!
This is what love looks like!

Lots of family and friends came to meet our new bundle of joy!
I'm not sure why I didn't get pictures of them all, but we are so
appreciative of every person who visited, called, and thought about us!

Daddy, Poppa Dale & Emma
4 Generations!
"Maz", Mommy, Emma & Nana
MawMaw, Poppa & Emma
Nana, Emma & Papa
Uncle Chris, Emma & Aunt Amy
Kristen & Emma
Brother Wayne & Emma
Brother Wayne married Mommy & Daddy!
Brother John & Emma
Christy & Emma
Aunt Cat, Emma & Bailey
Cousin Josh & Emma
Aunt Patricia, Emma & Uncle Bill
Grandma Lorraine & Emma
Aunt April is holding Emma, while Uncle Russ stares! :)
Uncle Russ decides he wants to give it a shot!
Aunt Jana & Emma...Uncle Russ is staring again, lol!
Daddy is admiring his little girl!
She's already got him wrapped around her little finger!
Cousins Stephanie and Lauren came to visit too!
Stephanie Holds Emma
Lauren Holds Emma
Aunt Amy & Cousin Cheyenne are holding Emma.
MawMaw holding her two granddaughters.
I love this one!
"Maz" is getting a good look at Emma...her first great-grandchild!
Sweet Dreams!
On September 20, 2007 we headed home. Nana and Papa
put this message on the sign at Partners to welcome us home.
Emma in her "coming home" outfit. This is the same dress
I wore home from the hospital. I hope Emma will want to
use it to bring her daughter home in one day!
The day we came home from the hospital was also the day we buried
Justin's PawPaw. This is a picture of them all dressed up after the funeral.
I really look awful in this picture. In my defense I really felt awful...
but I hated to leave it out since I had a beautiful baby girl in my arms!
Emma is laying on the afghan that her namesake made. My great-grandmother, Emma Elizabeth Allison Lord, was one of the strongest women I have ever known. I was blessed to have her in my life for 20 years, and I look forward to the day that we reunite in Heaven!

1 comment:

Kara Dingler said...

Ashley, I can't beleive how much Emma has grown! I teared up a bit as I read this post, it is so very touching and I can't beleive how fast time has gone by!! Love, Kara